It's that time of year again. Summer has officially arrived in the Valley of the Sun. With rising temperatures it can become increasingly difficult to get out and enjoy outdoor exercise and to do without incidence.
Here are some general guidelines for enjoying some outdoor activities:
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. When exercising outdoors be sure to drink plenty of water. It has been recommended that you drink 24 oz of water for every hour you are exercising outdoor. Try to consume 4-6 oz every ten minutes. If you are thirsty your already dehydrated. Continue to hydrate throughout the day.
- Exercise in the early hours of the day, get out before 10am. Allow yourself time to acclimate to the heat. Start out slowly 20-30 minutes of activity and increase time as your body gets used to exercising in the heat.
- Limit sun exposure. Wear sunscreen, hat and sunglasses. Protect you skin from the sun's harmful rays.
- Wear performance fabrics, not cotton. These specially designed fabrics are created to wick perspiration. These fabrics help maintain your core body temperature.
- Recovery. Be sure to stretch and continue to hydrate following activity.
- Leave your pets at home in the air conditioning. Don't forget that they are wearing fur coats and don't have the ability to sweat.
These tips will permit you to continue to be active during these hot summer months and remain injury free!! So get out and enjoy our beautiful Valley of the Sun!!